In every organization the basis of business activity is the creation, drafting, negotiation and management of contracts. Those involved in the contracting process are, rightly, required to act as contracts professionals, and can no longer afford to treat contracts as an adjunct to their main roles. The increasing complexity of contracts, particularly when used in an international context, has brought the need for such skills into sharp focus. With these matters in mind, this seminar is designed to:
- Examine the basis of contracting, with particular reference to international contracts
- Explore the ways in which contracts are created, including competitive tendering
- Look at some of the issues in drafting contracts, including clarity of language
Show how to prepare for and conduct negotiations, whether on the terms of the contract itself, or on claims arising after the contract has been created
- Review some major issues taking a contract through to close out
This intensive 5-day seminar is suitable for personnel from all industrial fields and different purchasing methods involved at any stage of the contracting process:
Those new to the function, or preparing for a major project will find a solid grounding, and experienced managers looking for a refresher will also benefit from this seminar.
- Understand the issues behind contracts
- See how contracts can be used in an international context
- Explore ways of creating contracts, and the different strategies available for different types of project
- Review different types of contract
- Examine some of the issues that arise in drafting contracts
- Develop improved skills in negotiation relating to contracts
- Share examples of how to manage contracts to maximise the result for the organisation
The seminar will combine conventional teaching with a high level of participation; including an interactive approach to involving participants in discussion of topics; exercises; and encouraging participants to bring their own experiences forward for discussion and debate. Wherever possible, real examples and short case studies will be included from different industries around the world to make the course as relevant as possible.
The seminar covers the contracting process from the concept of contracts, through the creation of the contract by tendering or otherwise, and looks at the drafting of contracts, and the skills needed for negotiation in a contractual environment through contract management to close out and resolution of disputes. The intention is to develop general skills with application to a wide range of contractual situations, and to allow participants to have an awareness of practices in other areas and other industries which may add value to their own situations.
DAILY SEMINAR SCHEDULE
Day 1 - The Basis of Contracts
Day 2 - Creating a contract
Day 3 - Drafting contracts
Day 4 - Negotiation
Day 5 - Contract Management